Rolling the Stone Away: Generations of Love & Justice brought together—for the first time—dozens of elders, saints and prophets from LGBTQIA Christian movements of the past five decades. These “invited guests” were the presenters for the conference.
Here is the general schedule for the Rolling the Stone Away conference. Additional information can be found in the program book.
All sessions were recorded. Visit our Video Archive page to watch video of the conference.
- Tuesday Oct 31, 2017
- Registration opens at 10am
- Conference convenes at 4pm
- Session 1: Plenary (4:00-5:30pm)
Welcome & Context
Glimpses of the invited guests present here; dialogue on how remembering elders and history can inform and propel movements today.
- Session 2: Plenary (7:30-8:30pm)
Ritual of Remembrance
Recognizing our leaders and friends who have died as well as other losses over the years.
- Wednesday Nov 1, 2017
- Workship/Spiritual Reflections (7:45am)
Disciples LGBTQ+ Alliance Worship
Queer Feminist Ritual with Diann Neu
Service of Healing & Reconciliation
- Session 3: Plenary (8:45-10:15am)
Historical Period: 1960s/70s
Interview with diverse group of leaders from the period. Look at beginnings; dynamics & tensions of the early movements.
- Session 4: Breakouts (10:30am-noon)
Six Conversations (choose one)
- Welcoming Congregations: Peggy Campolo, Ann Thompson Cook, Ann Day, Allen Harris, Obie Holmen, Casey Lopata, Leo Treadway
- AIDS: Bill Johnson, Jim Mitulski, Zachary Jones, Rick Mixon, Barbara Satin, Karen Ziegler
- Persecution & Trials: Jimmy Creech, Marianne Duddy-Burke, Jeannine Gramick, Rick Huskey, Jeff Johnson, Anthony Petro, Janie Spahr
- Lesbian & Trans Feminism: Darlene Garner, Jan Griesinger, Carter Heyward, Debra Peevey, Freda Smith, Erin Swenson
- Communities of Color: Cedric Harmon, Robyn Henderson-Espinoza, Jonipher Kwong, Renee McCoy, Loey Powell, Nickie Valdez
- Intersection of Isms: Ray Bagnuolo, Haven Herrin, Keisha McKenzie, Chris Paige, Larry Rodriguez, Mel Soriano
- Session 5: Breakouts (1:45-3:15pm)
Six Conversations (choose one)
- Queer Theology: Neil Cazares-Thomas, Morris Floyd, Pamela Lightsey, Diann Neu, Matthew Vines, Naomi Washington-Leapheart, Nancy Wilson
- Trans Concerns: Avery Belyeu, Gwen Fry, Nicole Garcia, Malcolm Himschoot, Louis Mitchell, David Weekley
- Religious Right: Barbara Crabtree, Jimmy Creech, Nancy Krody, Chuck Lewis, Sylvia Rhue
- Marriage Equality: Alison Amyx, Darnell Fennell, Candy Holmes, Deborah Johnson, Alex McNeill, Bernard Schlager
- Sexuality: Chris Glaser, Mary Hunt, Johari Jabir, Brian McNaught, Monique Moultrie, Justin Tanis
- Religion & Politics: Marco Grimaldo, Randall Miller, Troy Perry, Megan Rohrer, Heather White, Imani Woody
- Session 6: Plenary (3:30-5:00pm)
Historical Period: 1980s/90s
Interview with diverse group of leaders from the period. Note growth in visibility and diversity; changing religious institutions.
- Session 7: Plenary (7:30-8:30pm)
Stories from the Heart
Some of our guests poignantly recall what motivated and sustained them on their journeys.
- Thursday Nov 2, 2017
- Worship/Spiritual Reflection (7:45am)
Dignity Catholic Liturgy
Rolling the Stone Toward Peace with Rev. Candy Holmes
Worship in the Style of the Taizé Community
- Session 8: Plenary (8:45-10:15am)
Historical Period: 2000s
Interview with diverse group of leaders from the period. Discuss trends of new millennium; challenges & possibilities today.
- Session 9: Plenary (10:30am-noon)
Celebration & Commissioning
Ritual of thanksgiving for our elders, saints and prophets; dialogue between past & present leaders on how history plays role in shaping today’s movements.
- Conference adjourns at noon